Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spider Plant Propagation

I've had my spider plant about 6 months now, and in the past couple of months, it has been producing a lot of baby spider plants, so I thought it was time to try my hand at some spider plant propagation.  Spider plants are one of the easiest plants to propagate, lucky for me, since this is my first go at propagation.


First, I selected a couple of the largest babies that had some good starter root nubs and cut them off the mother plant.


Before planting the baby spider plants in soil, I wanted to give them a head start by getting the roots to grow in some water.  I placed the baby spider plants in enough water to cover the root shoots and in a large enough container to help keep the plant propped upright in the water.



After about 10 days, I had enough roots started to pot the plant.


And voila! I magically have two new spider plants. Looks like I will need to find another friend or neighbor to do some plant swapping with!


No comments:

Post a Comment