Friday, May 16, 2014

Wind Damage Follow Up

We ended up hiring some tree experts to cut up and haul away the tree that had fallen during the strong storms last week.  Not only did they haul away the fallen part of the tree, but they cut down the remaining 2/3 of the tree that was still standing because it was rotten enough on the inside and needed to be removed before the rest fell in another wind storm.

Before:


After:


It is always sad to lose a tree, especially one that has been growing since the house was first built in 1981.  But, it means there is an opportunity to plant something new.  I'm thinking I might plant one, or maybe a couple fruit trees in its place.  I already have a Florida Prince peach and a fig tree and I'm considering planting a pomegranate tree here.  What do you think?  Do you have any thoughts on what fruit tree I should plant in my Central Texas garden?

2 comments:

  1. Wow a wide open space for planting! Figs and pomegranate trees do very well in Central Texas. They are both deciduous so you might consider adding an evergreen citrus like 'Orange Frost' to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions, Shirley! I already have the fig tree (the wildlife get to all the fruit before I do), and definitely want to plant the pomegranate. I've been hesitant to plant citrus because of the cold sensitivity, but Orange Frost looks like a good option. I see that you planted one a couple of years ago per your blog - http://rockoakdeer.blogspot.com/2012/05/gardening-on-rocks-planting-orange.html. Are you happy with it? How much fruit is it producing for you now that the tree is a couple years old?

      Delete