Sunday, March 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - March 2015

Spring has sprung in my Zone 8b Central Texas garden.  The weather broke from cold and rainy days in the 30s-40s (our version of winter) to sunny days in the 70s and I'm lovin' it.

Relatively few plants are in bloom right now.  Most are still shaking off the winter chill, but here are some of the plants that are blooming in my garden right now:

The hyacinths are in full effect right now.  I planted a border of them in January after chilling the bulbs in the refrigerator for several weeks.  I'm not sure the chilling was necessary, since I've planted hyacinth bulbs other years, left them in the ground, and they still came back, but it apparently didn't hurt.


I'm not sure of the varieties, other than the mixed bag they came in said they were "shades of purple." Most look to be pink to me, with a few lavenders scattered in.  But, no matter.  They are beautiful and smell lovely.


The Erlicheer narcissus are also blooming away right now.  They were also new bulb additions to my garden last fall.  I'm definitely enjoying their first bloom season and looking forward to many more to come.


My Meyer lemon tree is still sitting indoors, as I haven't had a chance to move it outside after the freezing temperatures.  It has started blooming (five blooms at the moment), and since it is indoors and without pollinators, I've had to step in and do some hand pollination.  It is really quite easy - just use a cotton swab and get some of the pollen on the stamen.  It seems to be working, as I can see little lemon fruits start to appear.  I think these blooms have my favorite fragrance - nothing beats its floral citrus smell.


Back outdoors, the arugula is still blooming like crazy.  The bees are loving it, and since the ground has been too wet to plant any new spring veggies, I'm keeping the arugula in place and letting the insects enjoy the blooms for now.


I've shown the pansies before, but they have been going strong all winter, adding a burst of color to the otherwise blank courtyard.  And since they will most likely be nearing their seasonal end soon, I thought I'd showcase them one last time.


And finally, while not quite making it in time for this month's GBBD, I see the potential of other blooms around the garden, including other narcissus and daffodils, and even my first Blue Bonnets are well on their way to blooming!


Thanks to Carol over at May Dreams Gardens for hosting this garden meme each month!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely Hyacinth lining your path Rebecca and yes, most look pink to me too.
    It is an odd sight to see, narcissus and lupin buds at the same time - well for me that is. The lupins here are only just wakening up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering my favorite color is purple, I was certainly looking forward to the purple hyacinths. But now that I have the pinks, I realize they are quite lovely too. Ah, who am I kidding, I love pretty much any flower ;-)

      Delete
  2. Rebecca, what a lovely bloom day! My arugula has just started to bloom--not massively lovely as yours. And yes, so much waiting to happen, but I love your hyacinths. Added you to CTG's blogroll tonight--I thought I already had it there--so apologies. So good knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the add to the CTG blogroll, Linda! I love CTG and never miss an episode (online that is). The hyacinths showcased well this year and are keeping the garden pretty until the other plants "wake up" from their wintertime slumber.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty. I love the smell of hyacinth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I forced some indoors earlier this year and their smell filled the entire kitchen for a couple weeks. I also cut one of my hyacinths and brought it into the office this week for some pretty desk decor - just one flower has filled my entire cubicle with its delightful smell!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see your hyacinths, nothing beats them for a bit of spring feeling. And it’s interesting to hear about your lemon tree, I have just bought a lemon tree and it will be delivered tomorrow. Yippy! Mine is a ‘Lisbon’ and I intend to grow it outdoors, fingers crossed that will be OK. I have never grown lemons before so I have been reading up about it, can’t wait to smell the scent of the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the new lemon tree. I love mine - wonderful smelling blossoms, delicious fruit, and evergreen leaves - how can you go wrong? I'm thinking I might try putting my tree in the ground this year so that it can be lower maintenance, and hopefully grow bigger and be more productive. Now the only question is where exactly to put it.

      Delete