Saturday, March 14, 2015

Collard Wraps & This Week's Harvest

The winter greens are getting to the end of the season and starting to flower, so I've been trying to use up as much of what remains as possible while I still can.

I haven't consumed my collards in many ways this year, other than by juicing them.  Since I had a lot of salad and sandwich type of ingredients on hand, I decided to make some collard wraps.


I grabbed three large collard leaves from the garden, as well as some kale leaves and fresh cilantro from the garden for my wraps.


I de-ribbed (took off the stem) of the collards and kale, and then prepped other items to stuff inside my wrap: grape tomatoes, avocado, red pepper hummus, deli turkey, pepperjack cheese and lemon.


I spread a couple tablespoons of the hummus on the leaf first (it helps to "glue" the leaf together), then stuffed the rest of the ingredients inside and rolled it up.  One and a half wraps were quite filling, so I'll have the remaining wraps for lunch tomorrow (yay for leftovers!)

Other winter green harvests this week included swiss chard and salad greens.


Arugula, Romaine lettuce, leaf lettuce, and baby spinach.

My harvest totals so far this year include:
  • 7.5 oz Cherry Bell radish
  • 1 lb 9.7 oz kale (unknown variety)
  • 2 lb 6.8 oz Flash collards
  • 1 lb 7.7 oz Ruby Red chard
  • 14.2 oz Fordhook Giant chard
  • 7 colanders salad greens (lettuce, spinach, arugula) 
  • 1 lb 2.9 oz Meyer Lemons (5)
  • 1 lb 1.2 oz Broccoli (5)
  • 7.1 oz cilantro
  • 6.5 oz parsley


2 comments:

  1. Clever and beautiful. I am sure they tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really did. And they made me feel great - energized and not bogged down like bread can sometimes (or always) make you feel. I'll definitely be making these more often.

      Delete