Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Wildlife Wednesday - October 2014

I'm excited to share the wildlife that has visited my garden this past month as part of Tina's Wildlife Wednesday over at My Gardener Says.

The gulf fritillary have been hanging around the garden a lot, and are especially loving the zinnias right now.



I'm also 90% sure that I saw a monarch flitting around the garden this week.  She didn't stop to let me take her picture, but it made me so happy to see that my garden was attracting the lovely and endangered creatures.  HOWEVER, I did find these little guys nibbling my milkweed to the ground:




MONARCH CATERPILLARS!  2 of them!  At least, as far as I can tell based on my quick internet search.  At first, I was a little miffed that they were stripping the milkweed bare, but then I figured that that is what they are there for, caterpillar food.  But once I found out they were most likely monarchs, I was so HAPPY they were eating the milkweed.  Anything to help them grow big and strong and multiply.


While digging in the veggie beds to do some fall planting, I found this guy.  Anyone know what he is?  Maybe a moth larvae of some kind?  Friend or Foe?


Seems like the aphids found the new butterfly weeds.  Lucky for me, the ladybug found the aphids.  These milkweed plants really do attract a gambit of wildlife.


As I was watering the Turk's Cap, this leaf-like grasshopper thing popped out of the plant.  With further research, it looks like he is a Greater Angle-Wing Katydid (Microcentrum rhombifolium).  Pretty interesting looking.


Then there are these guys - cactus bugs - which are having there way with my prickly pears.  They are leaving these ugly spots on the cactus.  Anyone have any good recommendations on how to get rid of these foes?


 The honeybees are loving the autumn sage that is in full bloom.


And then there are the regulars... like this Carolina wren.


And these lesser goldfinches.


Thanks for stopping by.  Be sure to stop by Tina's blog for more gardeners' wildlife recaps.

7 comments:

  1. Well, your garden is no slouch where wildlife happenings are concerned! Love all of your photos! That katydid is cute--they're just so cute, I think. I don't see them in my gardens--maybe I need to pay more attention. And yes, you have Monarch babies! I don't honestly know what that means, vis-a-vis their migration to Mexico. The adults migrating now were born in Canada. I don't know if these larvae will mature and then head south--I've just never read anything about that--it's something to research. I love your shots of the little finches--again, so, so cute. Thanks for joining in with Wildlife Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm such a proud momma of my baby monarchs! I'm pretty sure I'm going to be checking on their development daily. The one I spotted today looked like it was in it's final larva stage... so I'll be looking for some chrysalises around the garden soon. I'm sure this will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it won't stop me from trying!

      Delete
  2. Great shots Rebecca. I love that fritillary on the zinnia. But...Monarch babies! That is great news. I'm excited to hear their numbers seem to be up a bit again this year. Hopefully their situation is taking a turn for the better. I love all your finches...about all I ever see at a time is two. Not sure if they are the same two over and over, but I never seem to see more than that no matter what feeder is out or what seed is in it. Apparently we serve a very limited clientele around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I know, I'm so excited about the Monarch babies! I'm hoping they make it to the adult stage. I'll be keeping an even closer eye on the garden. And with your identification expertise Deb, do you have any clue what my mysterious larvae is? I'm thinking some kind of moth, but that is mostly a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, Rebecca! And I am so thrilled to see the Monarchs made it back. I haven't seen a single one all year. That mystery creature does look like a moth pupa to me. The nerd in me hopes you might keep a watch on it to see what develops but someone at BugGuide.net might be able to help if you want a faster answer. Those cactus bugs are bad news. They have multiple generations each year. Spraying them off with a hose can help keep them under control. Good luck. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks - I'll have to try out the BugGuide.net. And thanks for the advice on the cactus bugs - I hope I can control them!

      Delete