Monday, October 13, 2014

Minnesota Fall

I just got a little taste of the Midwest fall that I grew up loving.  My husband and I traveled to Minnesota this weekend to visit family and celebrate his grandpa's 90th birthday (quite the accomplishment!).  While it was a very short trip, I got to spend a little bit of time appreciating the nature of the north and colors of autumn.  The weather was beautiful - upper 50's during the day, with the cool crispness that comes with the changing seasons.


Trees in my mother-in-law's backyard getting ready for the winter cold.


Not just the trees display fall colors.  Here - sedum adds some burgundy color to nature's palette. 


Such beautiful colors!


We even spotted a few black squirrels (sciurus carolinensis), which I can't say I ever saw growing up, even though they are supposed to be relatively common in the Midwest.


Did I mention it was beautiful?



I especially loved the contrast of the white birch tree bark against the autumn leaves.


These are all views that I loved growing up in Wisconsin, but appreciate even more now that I'm living in Texas.  It is certainly nice getting back and getting a little dose of a true Midwest fall.


3 comments:

  1. Very cool pictures. I wish I could live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely breathtaking. If I lived where the trees put on a show like that I wouldn't get anything done until every leaf was finally on the ground. As long as that color show lasted I'd be out staring up at the trees in wonder every waking moment.

    ReplyDelete