Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hummingbirds

I'm SO excited!  I saw not only one, but TWO hummingbirds in my backyard today flitting around together.  I also saw them many times today, coming to the hummingbird feeder at least every hour, if not more.  At one point, I was just two feet away from the hummingbird!  I think they were Central Texas Black Chinned Hummingbirds.  They definitely did not look like ruby-throated hummingbirds.  They let me take a couple of pictures of them.


While the hummingbirds seem to like the standard hummingbird feeder, to make sure they stay around, I wanted to give them a few more options, so I planted some flowers under my hummingbird feeder that are suppose to attract hummingbirds.  I planted some lantana and some coneflowers.  The butterflies should like this new flower garden as well.





Eventually, I plan to add some other flowers to this small flower garden that attract butterflies and hummingbirds.  I plan to plant some columbine, lupine, and daisies later this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment