Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Weed or Wildflower?

The weeds have taken over my garden recently, thriving in the Texas summer heat.  I went out to the garden a few days ago, and found this guy pop up, looking quite content in some of the empty garden bed space.  With the way it sprouted up so quickly, I'm guess it is a weed of some sort.  However, it does have some pretty little flowers that some pollinators were enjoying, so maybe it is a wildflower that I should be honored to have in my garden, but I have NO IDEA!

Fellow gardeners, can you help me identify this plant?  Please and Thank you :-)



3 comments:

  1. Looks like a nightshade flower. Maybe Silverleaf nightshade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm near certain what you have there is a horse nettle (also called silver leaf nightshade- prettier!) which will eventually bear yellow fruit that look like tiny tomatoes and are toxic to people, not sure about birds. It is a super aggressive spreader that puts down deep roots.

    That said, I admire the flowers - see them roadside all the time and was not surprised to see it is a member of the potato family because the blooms remind me of potato vines in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good mystery! Check out this page from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center:
    http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=SOEL

    ReplyDelete