Sunday, April 13, 2014

Today's Harvest

Today was 78 degrees and overcast in Central Texas - perfect gardening weather.  While playing in the garden, I decided it was time to harvest some of my continuing fall and early spring crops.  Today's harvest included a bunch of Curly-Leafed Kale (planted in the fall), Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard (planted in the fall), and Cherry Bell Radishes (planted 3 weeks ago).


I didn't have anyone to cook for this evening, so I decided to use my harvest in some fresh juices.  I made two types of juices, and enough to last the next couple of days (about 60 ounces of each kind of juice).  My juices included:

Green Pineapple

  • 1 pineapple
  • 6 cups kale
  • 1/2 head romaine lettuce
  • 1 cucumber
  • 8 stalks celery
  • 3" ginger root
  • 1 large Granny Smith apple
  • 1 large lemon
  • 1 lime

Green Radish

  • 10 radishes with greens
  • 10 stalks swiss chard
  • 3 stalks celery
  • 2" ginger root
  • 5 medium apples (Granny Smith and Gala)
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 lime
  • bunch of cilantro
  • 1 1/2 cups water
I've never juiced radishes before, but the concoction I put together was pretty good.  It has a mild, yet refreshing bite to it, similar to ginger root.  I'll have to add this to my standard juicing recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment