Sunday, April 20, 2014

Bird Watch - April 2014

This spring has brought some new visitors to my (and my neighbor's) garden.

The main visitors of note are the purple martins.  This spring is the first time I've seen these well-respected feathered friends.  Maybe it has something to do with having a bit rainier winter?  Purple martins almost entirely nest in man-made bird houses.  I unfortunately do not yet own a purple martin house, but my next door neighbors do, so I've been able to enjoy purple martin sightings.  I'm hopeful that they are eating a bunch of pesty insects right now, especially the squash vine borer moths.


I also recently bought a Droll Yankee Nyjer seed feeder, as I wanted to attract more finches to the yard.  The day after I put up the feeder, I immediately had goldfinches visiting.  Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the feeder results.


While not a new visitor this month, one of my favorite birds in the garden are the blue jays.  Yes, they have a tendency to bully other birds, but aren't they just spectacular?  So regal.



While not a bird, another critter in the garden right now is this little guy.  I see him hanging around pretty often.


Other birds in the garden this month include many house sparrows, white-winged doves, blackbirds, one male and one female cardinal, a few Carolina wrens, and a male and female black-chinned hummingbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment