Friday, February 6, 2015

Mint Propagation

One of my 2015 garden goals is to propagate more plants so that I spend less money on plants, as well as share more plants with friends and family.  I decided to try my hand at one of the easiest plants to propagate - mint.


I have both spearmint (above) and peppermint (below) in my herb garden, so I decided to propagate a little bit of both.


All I had to do was dig up a small clump of the runners and roots.  As long as some of the plant has some roots, it should be a cinch to propagate.


I places three to four root clippings into a small pot with potting soil and watered in.  There was no need to use any kind of rooting hormone, since the mint already had roots.  I then placed them on the grow shelves for a few weeks.


After four weeks, I was left with a jungle of mint to either plant around in other areas of the yard or share with friends (I'll be sharing most with friends).


Mint has been, by far, the easiest plant to propagate.  Now... who wants some mint?

4 comments:

  1. Your mint babies look happy and healthy. I'm sure they'll make a delicious difference in all sorts of drinks and dishes yet to come. I'd take you up on your offer (hypothetically anyway) but if anything I've sort of a mint "problem" here because I let mine loose into beds and didn't keep it safely confined in a planter. Don't do as I did, do as I say! People, keep your mint contained! (You're welcome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I previously only had my mint in containers. Then with the installment of all my new beds last year and so much extra planting space, I went ahead and planted two mints in my herb bed. Just recently I dug them up and put them back in containers since I read too much about them taking over garden beds and saw the evidence of that fate when the mint started shooting out hundreds of runners. Mint is definitely staying in pots now.

      Delete
  2. Oh this is just great. I collected a bunch of seeds and made some cuttings this fall because like you I want a lush garden but the cost was getting way out of hand. Looking forward to seeing (and learning) more. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the easiest plant to propagate, so I'm sure you'll be successful!

      Delete