Sunday, February 15, 2015

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - February 2015

With the warm, 70 degree days we have been having in Central Texas (zone 8b), there are early signs of spring with the blooms in the garden.

Most notably is the Florida Prince peach tree.  I love the pink and white blooms on this tree, but I'm heartbroken because we have some freezing temperatures in the forecast this next week, and I'm doubtful that my blossoms will survive, which means no peaches for me.


That's the trouble with selecting a peach tree that was not right for my location.  I recently learned at a home fruit seminar, held by the local master gardeners, that we require fruit tree varieties that need around 700 chill hours.  The Florida Prince only needs 150, which is why it blooms so early and is exposed to the danger of freezing its blooms.  Looks like I'll be taking this peach down and replanting a new one this year.  In the meantime, I'll enjoy its blooms while I can.


The veggie garden is also putting on a show of flowers.  Many of the fall and winter veggies have bolted and the bees are loving the blooms, especially on the broccoli.


This is the first time I've seen the arugula flowers - so dainty.


The peas are starting to shoot out blooms - I'm looking forward to some nice pea pods for stir-fry recipes in a few weeks.


The rosemary is a-bloomin' with its delicate violet flowers, which is buzzing with bees.


Finally, with the decent amount of rain and warm temps, the yard has sprouted up with blooming weeds that I appreciated for a moment before my hubby mowed them down.


Thanks to Carol for hosting Garden Blogger's Bloom Day on the 15th of every month.  Be sure to stop by May Dreams Gardens to see what is blooming in other gardens around the world.



11 comments:

  1. Your blooms are so lovely and the flowers on your peach tree are so pretty in pink and dainty. It looks like spring weather is well under way there. Here it is snowy and windy with a chill factor in the teens...just balmy! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the main reason I moved away from the Midwest... I couldn't handle the months and months of freezing temps (not to mention long stints with windchill way below zero). Plus, down here in Texas, I can grow plants year-round! I'll take the 100 degree days anytime over below zero.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful blooms!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed that your peach blossoms survive. So pretty. Mine hasn't started to bloom yet, even though I'm a bit south of you. Love the veggie blossoms. So many vegetables are really decorative in addition to being good to eat. And those weeds look very familiar. They all thrive in my garden, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dorothy - I'm really hoping the peach blossoms will make it these next few weeks with temps flirting around freezing. I know that what I really should be doing is digging the tree up and planting it with a more appropriate tree for my climate. It just breaks my heart though to take down a tree I've been giving so much TLC to for the last several years.

      Delete
  4. Gosh lady - even your weeds are pretty! That's a hard lesson you've learned about your peach tree. Perhaps the temperatures won't drop too far and you'll have a few peaches to enjoy before you take it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope! Of course, I fear that if I make it through and end up with some peaches this time, it will almost make it harder to chop it down and replant vs. if I completely fail again and there is no question that I should replant. Gosh darn it all.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pics! I have been too nervous to plant any fruit trees that need technical knowledge- your peach may be blooming too early but is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so beautiful - and a definite favorite of the bees!

      Delete