Sunday, May 4, 2014

Today's Harvest: First Peas and Squash

Today in the garden I harvested the first peas and squash of the season - Guisante Mammoth Melting Sugar peas and Calabacin Pic-N-Pic Hybrid to be exact.


The great thing about having a vegetable garden is that as soon as you pick the veggies, they can go directly into a delicious home-cooked meal.  Tonight I made a delicious chicken stir fry with today's veggies (which I slightly altered to use the vegetables I had on hand, and egg noodles instead of rice).  The peas were flavorful and tender.  Being summer squash, I left the rind on the squash when I cooked it, thinking it would be soft.  It was not.  I'm hoping the rest of the crop will be softer, otherwise it will be a difficult squash variety to cook with and I probably won't plant it again if it takes a lot of prep work in the kitchen.



Harvest Totals (since April)

  • 5 lbs Cherry Bell Radishes
  • 3 lbs Giant Fordhook Swiss Chard
  • 5.7 oz Pic-N-Pic Summer Squash
  • 2.3 oz Mammoth Melting Sugar Peas

No comments:

Post a Comment