Sunday, June 22, 2014

Squash Planting - Round 2

Due to the terrible squash vine borer that wiped out all of my lovely squash plants, I've decided to give it another go and plant a second round of squash plants.  I'm hoping it is late enough in the season now that the borer won't be an issue this time around.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I cleaned up the bed of all the dead squash vines and weeds and planted the following seeds:

  • 2 Early Acorn Hybrid
  • 1 Pic-N-Pic Summer Squash
  • 2 Black Beauty Zucchinis
  • 1 Spaghetti Squash
  • 1 Waltham Butternut
  • 1 Jack O'Lantern Pumpkin
  • 1 Large Bottle Gourd
  • 1 mystery squash (there was a healthy, but small squash plant already growing in the bed that I decided to leave.  I'm not sure what it is, but based on my first planting locations, I would guess a pumpkin or bottle gourd)

Here's to hoping that second squash planting is much more successful (aka no squash vine borers).

On the bright side, I have a healthy-looking mystery squash growing in the yard.  I'm guessing it is a pumpkin, considering I left a pumpkin in that general spot last fall.  At first, I thought the mystery squash escaped the deathly squash vine borers, but on second look, the largest vine had been compromised and there was the obvious squash vine borer "saw dust" on the base of the plant.  I'm hoping the vine has rooted in some other places and will be able to survive, but I won't hold my breath.




No comments:

Post a Comment