Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Squash

I planted several types of squash this year.  I hear that it is probably the easiest vegetable plant to grow, not to mention does quite well in the hot Texas weather, so it I thought it would be a good option for my first real garden.


In one of my raised garden beds, on May 20 I planted seeds directly into the ground, one mound each of:

  • Butternut squash (Waltham)
  • Acorn squash (Early Hybrid)
  • Zucchini (Black Beauty)
  • Gourds (Small Fancy Mix)
  • Pumpkin (Jack-o-Lantern)
By June 10th, this is what my squash looked like:


By July 1st, the squash had really taken off:


However, bad news, I think the nasty squash vine borers got to my plants.  None of my plants have died yet, but I will definitely be keeping a close eye on them.  Unfortunately, I hear there is nothing I can do at this point in time besides plant another crop of plants and keep a close eye on them to get rid of any larvae that shows up.


But, for now, I have squash plants that are flowering.  It does seem like I have a lot more male flowers than female flowers, so I was worried I may not end up with any squash.  Much to my relief, I found this beautiful female acorn squash flower in the garden this morning.  Now I just hope that when the flower opens, I will have a nice male flower to pollinate it with.





No comments:

Post a Comment