STEP 1: Select a location
We selected a sunny spot near the back fence that was out of the way of any mowing/dog fetching zones.
STEP 2: Select size and number of beds
Next, I determined that we could adequately fit about five 10x4ft garden beds in the area, but opted to start with just four, with the option of adding another one later if the whole project is successful.
STEP 3: Buy building materials
We bought our supplies at a local Home Depot. We opted for cedar 2x6 planks, as they last longer than pine, but they are not as permanent as stone beds (good just in case we have to move and the next owners want a pool in the back yard instead of garden beds). The Home Depot Lumber center cut the planks to the lengths we needed for the 10x4ft beds.
STEP 4: Build frames
We did a little online research such as looking at this site to make sure we made the beds correctly. We wanted to build all the frames prior to putting them in the selected locations so that we could get the layout just right. Jon started doing the drilling, but I quickly took over the drilling job as he started to prepare the plots.
STEP 5: Prepare the plots
Jon rented a tiller from Home Depot for 2 hours to dig up the plots where we were going to put our beds so that our plants would have nice loose soil to grow into. Again, the rocky ground did not make for a fun tilling time, but Jon is a trooper.
STEP 6: Secure beds
After the frames were built and plots tilled, we were ready to put the frames in their selected locations. To keep the beds from shifting location, especially because they are on a slight hill, we drove two stakes per bed into the corners of the beds as far down as they would go (until they reached the horrible rock layer).
STEP 7: Fill with dirt
We grossly underestimated the amount of dirt required to fill four 10x4ft garden beds. We started with about 20 bags of compost, manure, and peat moss from Home Depot which only ended up filling a few inches of the beds. We ended up ordering a delivery of 3 square yards of garden dirt from a local landscaping company (which equated to about 40-50 full wheelbarrows).
STEP 8: Plant!
The whole projected ended up costing about $500, but should last us for many many *fruitful* years to come. Thanks again to my wonderful husband for all his hard work!
|Jon working hard to loosen the soil.|
|Empty beds waiting for more dirt.|
|Yay! Dirt was delivered! Then followed the daunting task of shoveling it all.|
|Filling the beds.|
|Getting it done!|
|Jon did a lot of manual labor, but so did I!|
|Completed raised garden beds ready for some plants.|