Sunday, March 2, 2014

Tomatoes, Peppers, Eggplants, OH MY!

Last weekend was perfect weather - 82 degrees and sunny.  It was great gardening weather and inspired me to make a trip to the Natural Gardener and Home Depot to get a kick start on my veggie beds.  Tomato, pepper and eggplant transplants were out at the stores, so I couldn't resist grabbing a variety to plant in one of my 10x4 foot vegetable beds.  I picked up and planted the following:

Tomatoes

  • 1 Better Boy
  • 1 Celebrity
  • 1 Tycoon
  • 1 Valley Girl
  • 1 Cherry Super Sweet 100
  • 1 Red Cherry
Peppers
  • 4 Hot Cayenne
  • 1 Pablano
  • 1 Mammoth Jalapeno
  • 1 Yummy Snacking Petite Bell 
  • 1 Serrano
  • 2 Red Bells
  • 1 Giant Marconi Sweet Bell
  • 1 Carmen Sweet
Eggplants
  • 2 Black Beauties

Unfortunately, I was probably a bit too impatient.  I really should have waited a few more weeks to plant these summer plants.  We had a couple nights that dipped into the 30s last week and it is suppose to freeze again tonight, which does not bode well for these heat-loving plants.  I covered them with some freeze cloths last week and they seemed alright, so hopefully they will get through tonight's freeze alright.  Even if they survive the freeze, the cold weather will probably end up stunting their growth, since they prefer to not get below 50.  I may have to do some replanting later this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment